WordPad is a free Word processor program designed and marketed by the software giant Microsoft and is a great way for learners to start exploring the art of document creation. The application is included in all versions of Windows Operating systems from Windows 95 onwards. It includes several improved features and functions than Notepad but lacks some functions that you may see in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Works. With the assistance of various features and functions of WordPad, one can possibly create, view, print and edit rich-text documents.
Although WordPad supports rich text format, lacks security features such as a spell checker. You can change the default font in MS Word and such feature is missing in the WordPad. To compensate such situations, you need to create a WordPad document and set it as the default font or use it as the default shortcut, when you launch the WordPad program. The procedure is simple and will not take much of your time to complete.
Microsoft Support Instructions
- Open WordPad application on the Windows system. For this, double-click the WordPad icon located on the desktop screen.
- Now highlight the entire WordPad page by clicking the Ctrl+A key on your keyboard.
- Now click on the Format tab on the upper menu bar and choose the tab labeled Font from the drop down format menu list. Here you can customize the font settings and set it as the default font settings for your WordPad program.
- Now tag along the File tab and choose the Save As option from the drop-down list to save the document.
- Now you may enter WordPad in the name field and then click Save.
- Now right-click the newly created WordPad file and choose Properties tab from the contextual menu list.
- For making the WordPad file read-only, put a check mark in the box that corresponds to the Read-only option and then click OK. By doing so, you can prevent the accidental changes to the WordPad document.
After customizing the font settings in WordPad, launch the WordPad application again to inspect whether the settings are saved properly or not. If everything is perfect and trouble free, then the font will appear in your document as the default font. If the selected font is not set as default, contact the Microsoft Support center for more help.